Monday, March 28, 2011

What a funny God we have!

Isaiah 10: 15

Is the axe to boast itself over the one who chops with it? Is the saw to exalt itself over the one who wields it?

How patient is the God of the Bible who allows the foolishness of man to puff up his arrogance in thinking that he is something to be admired. In this passage listed above, Isaiah actually records the words of the king of Assyria, but it is prefaced by God saying, "I will punish the fruit of the arrogant heart of the king of Assyria and the pomp of his haughtiness." As he concludes recording the words of the king, God makes the statement in bold above.

The interesting thing is that in human eyes, the statement of the king of Assyria is valid. It was his strength and might that brought him the power that he had. It is also interesting to note that as the king of Assyria, he was extremely powerful and had authority over the "rest of the world".

My thoughts turn toward myself. I have not conquered any lands. I have very little power, and even less influence. Yet, it is amazing how arrogant and pompous I find myself being. I start thinking that I have some form of influence over my world. I believe that it is the strength of my hand that produces the things that I have. And then I read verses like the one above.

Thank You God for Your patience with my arrogance. Thank You for Your willingness to hold back Your wrath from the pride that wells up in my heart. Thank You for Your lovingkindness that brings me back to the reality of who You are. Thank You for Your word that ever reminds me of Your greatness and majesty.

No comments:

Post a Comment