Friday, March 12, 2010

The Core Values of Man

What is it everyone wants? When taken down to the basic truth, what do all people long for?

This morning, I was reminded in a meeting that the basic needs of man is to love and be loved, to know and be known. It really all boils down to that. Here's the struggle though. Although one longs to be known, the more they share of themselves, the more likely they can be misinterpreted or misunderstood. To the extent that one makes oneself available to be loved it is to that degree that they can be rejected or abused.

The truth is, people long to be loved, yet realize they are unlovely. People want to be known, but they know that if they are fully known, others could not handle who they are.

Enter God. He claims to have a full and complete knowledge of who I am, what I have done, what I am going to do, and even what I am thinking or have thought about doing. According to His word, there is no greater knowledge of me that can be known - not even by myself. So what do I do with this knowledge? I try to hide the ugly parts from God. Because surely He cannot know these things. Yet His word says He does.

What is His response? Repulsion? Disgust? Anger? His response was fleshed out in His son, as his repulsion, anger and disgust were poured out on Jesus. Yes, His response to sin because of His holiness is wrath beyond our comprehension. Yet with His wrath came a way for man to experience a love that we long for at the deepest part of our being.

To be completely loved and completely known. This is the glorious message of the gospel.

No comments:

Post a Comment