Friday, July 12, 2013

Berean Bible Church - Mexico Trip - Day 7

For those of you who know me - I had to do it...  I won!  Last night, Alan and Heather spent most of the night checking on team members, giving them medicine and checking temperatures.  I had the privilege of ranking the highest as I registered 39.8 C (103.6 F). Not necessarily a competition I wanted to win.

Thank God for the fact that Alan and Heather (although experiencing most of the same symptoms as everyone else) didn't get a fever, and were able to care for everyone else.  They only got about 2 hours sleep last night, but that didn't stop them from finishing the work we had to do here.  Both of them took some time throughout the day to lay down, but tonight I am praying that they get a good night's sleep.

Jonathan was able to get up today as he felt a little better, and was able to finish some of the electrical work - putting switches in the bathrooms.  Alan finished the painting in the room and the storage room.  Most of the team was still in bed by late morning.

As a result, Manuel did something they had never done before.  He sent an S.O.S. text out to his people at the church, and probably close to 20 people came to help put the classroom back together and clean up the facility.  What a blessing it was for him to see the people respond to the need - and what a blessing for us as they served us by helping us finish the tasks that we had begun.  It was awesome to see the body at work.

Mike, Erin, Rachel and Matt were still struggling late into the afternoon, but they were getting up and moving around by later evening.  We are praying that they will be well enough to serve at the fair tomorrow.

I have been extremely impressed with the team this week.  They have done a lot of work - they have cared for each other well - they have ministered to the people - they have built relationships and friendships that will last well into the future!  The first day I mentioned the street light keeping me awake, and every night since, Mike made it a point to put a towel on the window to keep the light out.  What a kind and considerate service to me.  Alan and Heather's ministry last night was overwhelmingly humbling as they took over all the responsibilities of the team since I was sick.  Watching Rachel and Erin care for Vicky has been a joy, and seeing their love for this little deaf girl that extends beyond just sympathy for her injury or her plight, but truly a love for this "unloved" child has been exciting to see - reminds me of James 1:27.  John has constantly been working and looking for ways to serve - his heart of service has been exemplified by all of the work he has done especially when he wasn't feeling well.  Matt's connection with the people by using his Spanish has been a huge asset to the team, to such an extent that even the locals turn to him to communicate with the rest of us. Laurie and Kaitlynn have been a great example of Jesus by taking the "less notable" jobs and doing them with excellence - taking time to care for Janelle and Erin as they worked closely with them.


We are looking forward to a great day as the team is wrapping it up early tonight and getting ready for bed.  We might go to the pyramids in the morning and then we have the fair in the afternoon.  It really is my desire for the team to have the opportunity to see a little of Mexico while they are here, but that is really up to how well we are feeling in the morning.

This brings me to my - Thought for the day:  As we talked with Manuel and Ruth this evening (they shared their ministry from beginning to now), they shared how they felt bad about the whole team getting sick.  This is a new situation for me as I have never had an entire team get sick - usually not more than 10-20% of the team shows signs of any type of illness - so this has been very unusual.

However, this I know - NOTHING happens apart from my loving Father's hand, so from the beginning of time, He knew how this week would play out.  He knew we would be here, we would accomplish the work He set out for us, we would build relationships with the people here, and we would get sick...  Really?  Yes, I believe He has brought this sickness into our camp for His honor and glory AND for our good.

I don't understand it.  It doesn't make sense to me. Why was it necessary for us to get sick for Him to accomplish what He wanted to accomplish?  The truth is - I don't need to understand, I don't need to have any answers.

What we rest in is what James tells us in the beginning of his book - "Consider it all joy" when the trials and difficulties come, because God is in control!

Oh that we might live this way all of the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment