Thursday, July 11, 2013

Berean Bible Church - Mexico Trip - Day 6

Today is day - SICK!  I know the title says "six", but we awoke this morning with a variety of unhealthy symptoms.  We are praying that this is a quickly passing issue - since we are 3 days away from leaving and being stuck in an airplane seat for a couple of hours.

However, this is Berean - a little throw up, diarrhea, head ache, dizziness, etc isn't gonna stop this team...  Well, okay we moved a little slower today, but still much was accomplished.

The work morning began with the finishing of the tile in the classroom (cleaning it and sealing it), painting the railing on top of Librada's home, Mike began the carpentry work - building a shelving/closet unit, and lifting up a bed frame to be used as a medical evaluation bed, painting of walls in the storage room and the classroom, re-screening the screen door outside Librada's home, tiling the small bathroom in the nursery.  Some of the ladies were busy throughout the day doing prep work for the VBS that is coming in a week.

It has been a great day, but a very difficult day because of sickness.  As you can tell by the picture, rest and sleeping were also an integral part of the day.  John was actually taken to the doctor for a shot, Kaitlyn went with him and was treated as well.  As the day was winding down, we sat around with a thermometer checking everyone, and sure enough, six members of the team measured with temperatures ranging from 99-101.  It became a game - who could beat Kaitlyn who registered a 38.8 - last I heard, she was the winner.  Yeah, different teams have different games they play on the trip - this is a first!

Interestingly enough, we are in the book of James this week - so of course Alan reminded us to "consider it all joy".  He also mentioned I might want to think about using another book for study on the next trip.  Seriously, we studied chapter 2 this morning, and it was a great reminder that we should look at people the same way God does, and be slow to judge.  When we are reminded of the depth of sin we were in before Christ saved us, we are able to extend that level of grace to others.  To often, we as believers want to stand above others, or call people to a standard that God did not raise.  James strictly warns us that were judgement exists apart from mercy, the judgement we will received - from a Just and Holy God - will be merciless as well.

As the day winded down, most of the team found their way to bed early.  Medicines were being distributed like the snacks were at the beginning of the week.  I even ended up with garlic in my ear because of an earache that began last night.  Fun - without a doubt!

Thought for the day:  Before the day even began, a song was stuck in my head that has rung out throughout the day.  The words say, "To my audience of one, You are Father, and You are Son
As your spirit flows free,Let it find within me A heart that beats to praise You."  What an amazing thought as we walked through this day that was full of sickness and struggles - Our God is watching, He is near, He is actively involved in the every day activities that we experience.

However, the question for me today was, "do I live in such a way that I am conscious of my audience?"  I know that I am aware of the "audience" of the people around me.  Sometimes they cause me to think differently, act differently, and live apart from what I know is best and true.  But what if I lived as if God were the only one watching?  What if as I worked, my work was checked by God Himself?  What if as I parent, my decisions, words and corrections of my kids we constantly monitored by our loving Father?  What if the activities of the day - playing soccer, watching movies, eating, talking... were all a show for the creator of the universe?

Could you image the worship in church if the only one listening were God?  What about our outreach to those around us - would it be affected if we knew God was looking in?

We all know He is - but do I live that way?


No comments:

Post a Comment