Tuesday, September 20, 2011

What are you saying??

Think about the last 24 hours.  I have talked with numerous people on the phone, face to face, via skype, e-mail, text...  I have done a lot of communicating.  Not an extraordinary amount, probably the same as a typical day. 

My question today is, "If I took all of my words away for the past 24 hours, the past week, the past month, what have I communicated?"

We value the use of words and they are critical.  To understand, to clarify, to explain, to educate, etc.  Our words help us transfer information, emotions, thoughts, passions, goals, etc from one person to another.

I have found recently in dealing with people that my behavior communicates even more than I realize.  I received a call this morning from someone who thought they might have hurt my feelings because of a comment they made yesterday.  Did my behavior communicate that I was "hurt"? 

I have received requests from friends asking me to help them, but they are accompanied by an apology for asking me.  Is there something about the way that I respond to them - without my words - that communicates that they are an inconvenience to me?  Especially since internally I know I love to help people - I wish they would ask more.

I know that sensitivity is not my strongest suit, so I guess that is the motivator for the question.  "If I took my words away, what does everything else communicate to others?"

If I want people to know that I love them, if I want people to know what is important to me, if I want people to believe the things that I believe, my actions better shout out a message loud and clear.

I pray that I would be more effective in showing God's love for others by loving them well with my actions.

No comments:

Post a Comment