Thursday, September 15, 2011

Are you fit?

Yeah, I know, not the greatest picture, but it does express something I have been thinking about recently.

Our society is extremely caught up in the appearance of the external.  We are concerned with our weight, our waist size, our body proportions.  We are also constantly bombarded by health from an internal perspective as well.  From your cholesterol count to cancer check ups, we are constantly encouraged to keep up our health.

Because of this we eat differently, drink differently, exercise more, sleep differently, live differently.  We keep before us the health of our bodies, and as a result we change our patterns of behavior.

However, the physical body we have is temporary and will ultimately pass away.  The work that we do to discipline our body to keep it healthy and "in shape" is only temporary.

Imagine if you would a mirror that would allow you to look at the permanent part of yourself, the spirit.  What would your spirit look like?  Imagine if our spirit were able to be seen by others.  How would they respond?  Is it malnourished?  Does it lack any form of discipline?  Is it full of junk and unhealthy nourishment?  Is it dead?

I was thinking about this today because it seems to me the part that God is most interested in is not what is temporary, but that which is eternal.  From his sacrifice on Calvary to save the soul from hell, to the provision of His word for the health of the soul, it is obvious that He is concerned with our spiritual health.

The question for me is, how concerned am I with my health?  Without looking in the mirror, or should I say, intently looking in the mirror, I will not see the condition of my physical body.  Without intently looking into the mirror of God's word, I will not see the condition of my spiritual body.  Of the two, which is more important?

No comments:

Post a Comment