Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Two Places at Once

If you haven't seen Phineas and Ferb, you have missed out on some funny humor.  Two boys trying to spend their summer doing interesting things, all the while their sister tries to get them in trouble with their parents.

On one episode they create these shoes that Phineas says can allow you to "almost be 2 places at one time".

The random thought occurred to me today that this is exactly what marriage does for us.  When unified in purpose, when working together as a team, the unity of 2 people in marriage allows them to be 2 places at one time.

For instance, this morning, my wife needed to be picking up some Mary Kay product and heading to work.  However, it was in the opposite direction and she could not get there.  As her "other half" I was able to pick up the product, and she headed off to work on time.

In the same way, as I minister around the world through leading short term trips, my wife enables me to be home caring for my children and I enable her to broaden her ministry by serving others where I am.  Together our team is 2 places at one time, but as one unit, we both benefit from the work of the other.

When recognized as a team effort, an appreciation for the role of the other in carrying out your tasks becomes a natural result.  When I realize that my wife works on my behalf when we are apart, and when she recognizes the work that I do as a part of her ministry, together we benefit on both fronts.

So much like the shoes that allow you to "almost be in two places at one time", a healthy marriage gives us the ability to minister in two places at one time.  Think about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment