Sunday, June 26, 2011

Guatemala trip - Day 2


The day began with packing up and cleaning up at the Osborn and Wilson homes.  Then we took our luggage to Las Semillas – our hotel for the week.  Then, off to church.  The service was good, we did not understand much of the service, but they read from Psalms 34, challenged us about body life from Ephesians 4, and the main passage was from 1 Peter 1.  I spent the time reading 1 Peter, so it was a productive service.

After church we had coffee and bread with the church members, and then headed off for Antigua.  It rained all day, so we shopped in the rain, walked in the rain, some visited sites in the rain, etc.  Mainly, we got wet and chilly.  It was a lot of fun though – watching the team shop for various items.  Teams often get really excited about their purchases – one of these days I am going to start a list of purchases with how much people paid for them.  Knives and machetes where the primary item of purchase, I think all of the guys got either a knife or a machete.

One team member (Linda) is extremely funny – especially since she is just like my sister (with the same name).  She loved the shopping, and enjoyed getting deals and bargaining with people.  She borrowed $50 more than what she started with.  She couldn’t get enough of the shopping thing.  Later in the evening I pulled out the laser that I purchased in Greece, and she ended up buying seven of them on Amazon when we got home.  Yes, she is very much like my sister.

The team had a good time of evening wrap up – I believe this is going to be a good team.  They all seem to be excited about tomorrow’s work and beginning the projects that we have before us.  They are excited about seeing the kids and interacting with them.  I was surprised at how “nervous” some of them seem – especially about the kid part – but I think some of that is because they just haven’t experienced anything like this yet.  By tomorrow afternoon, they will be settled in and enjoying their experience – I am certain of it.

Well, it’s been a long day – time for bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment