Monday, December 20, 2010

My Christmas Wish...

If you could have one thing, anything, what would it be? This time of year, the idea of giving and getting is pretty common, so indulge me and think about it - ONE THING - ANYTHING - what would it be?

Some would say, "lots of money". Because with money, you can do lots of things. You can live debt free, travel, have things, give things, etc. A lot of money would be nice to have.

Some (especially those in the church) might say, "wisdom". It's what Solomon asked for, and he got everything else thrown in on top. So maybe wisdom is the answer that each of us should pursue.

Some might ask for reconciliation with family members or friends. Some might ask for health. Some might ask for another opportunity to talk with a loved one who has passed on.

Some might say that the greatest thing they can ask for is Salvation in Christ. I would have to agree with them, but that has already been offered (and on my account it has been accepted) so that would not answer my question today.

As I have pondered this question and wrestled with what it might be, I have come to a conclusion. I would like to ask for a "Life Mulligan". You know, in golf, you mess up a shot, you get a mulligan. You twisted your wrist a little too much, or shifted your hips too quickly, or leaned over a little too far, or looked up a little too soon... A mulligan - shoot it again. Forget the first ball - shoot it again.

You may have, much like myself, made some blunders in life and the consequences were bad but not too severe. However, there's that day, that moment, that one decision that if you could just go back and tweak it just a bit, the outcome would be drastically different. I often think of where I am and where I have been and wonder what life would have been if I had made a different choice at given points in time.

Well, there you have it - my Christmas wish, the one that cannot be fulfilled, a life mulligan. If you find one, please let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment