Wednesday, April 14, 2010

My Closest Friend

Twenty years ago this July, I married a woman that at that time I thought I loved. At the ripe old age of 21 (almost 22) we committed to love each other for life. If she had known on that day what she knows now, I am certain she would have taken a little more time with that commitment.

Over the years, I have failed her, yet her commitment to me has always been strong. I have had times of arrogance, and she graced me with her humility. I have had times of selfishness, and she showered me with her selflessness. I have been unfaithful, yet she has remained faithful to me. I have sinned against her, yet she offered forgiveness freely.

Believe me, we have not had the perfect marriage, mainly because of my imperfections, arrogance, stubbornness, selfishness... on the list could go. What I have experienced though is a love that only God can give through a wife that models it well. I have experienced God's faithfulness as she chose to be faithful. I have experienced God's forgiveness as she offered it to me. I have experienced God's humility as I watch her respond in gracious humility. I have experienced God through my closest friend in the world.

I thought I loved Deanna when I first married her 20 years ago, but what I have learned over these years is that I still do not love her as I should. I have learned what love truly means by watching her love me well, and as a result, I am moved to love her better. I love my wife today more than words can express, but not nearly as much as I know I will love her 20 years from now.

1 comment:

  1. that is great! God is so good to show us that kind of love. she reminds me of the proverbs 31 woman! congratulations on 20 years! God bless you both, paula

    ReplyDelete