Friday, April 23, 2010

12 tests of Job 31 - Could you pass?

In reading through the book of Job this morning, I came across a test of righteousness that Job gave himself. At the conclusion of the test, his older counselors stood silent, but a younger member of their group reminded Job of the righteousness of God. It is hard to compare anything to perfection - because anything less is flawed.

However, Job seemed to think he passed this test he presented in chapter 31. My question is, how would you do if faced with the same questions... (words in italics were added for clarity)

If I have walked with falsehood…
If my step has turned from the way…
If my heart has been enticed by a woman…
If I have despised the claim of my male or female slaves…
If I have kept the poor from their desire…
If I have seen anyone perish and not helped
If I have lifted up my hand against the orphan…
If I have put my confidence in gold…
If I have gloated because my wealth was great…
If I have looked at the sun when it shone and worshipped it
Have I rejoiced at the extinction of my enemy
Have I covered my transgressions like Adam



Honestly, as you evaluate yourself, in comparison to someone who perfectly did not fail in any of these areas, how did you do?

By the way, to see God's response to Job's test, see Job 38-41.

No comments:

Post a Comment