Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Is there such a thing as "Godly envy"?

Last Thursday, a mother of four, passed away at a fairly young age.  She had some heart difficulties, and after surgery two days earlier, she was getting ready to be moved into her own room and God called her home.  Just two days later marked the seven year anniversary of my father's death.

I mention these two deaths because they have something in common.  "What?", you ask.  The initial response in my heart was the same.  Both people died younger than what one would have expected.  But when I heard of their passing, my initial thought was envy.

I think about where they are, who they are with, what they are experiencing, and I envy them.  Yes, I love my life.  I enjoy the opportunities that God gives me each day, but I still struggle with sin, I still get tired, I still fail, I still experience pain, life here is difficult. 

Just so you understand, I don't wish to die.  I am not hoping to pass away.  However, I do look forward to what is next!  I am confident that no matter how long I could sit and ponder what life will be like in the next world, whatever I conceive will pale in comparison to the reality of standing side by side with Jesus and talking face to face with the Father.

I hurt for the people left here - including myself.  I wish the pain they experience at the loss of a loved one could be taken away.  But then I am reminded that the very pain I wish to remove makes me long for glory even more.

What is a "godly" response to the death of a believer?  Joy, maybe, but maybe just as healthy and right is envy. 

Some day I know I will stand in Heaven with my father, my Father and His Son.  It is this joy that gives me hope each day and helps me make it through all of the failures and pain I experience each day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment