Tuesday, April 2, 2013

What's your View of the World?

"For many walk, of whom I often told you, and now tell you even weeping, that they are enemies of the cross of Christ, whose end is destruction, whose god is their appetite, and whose glory is in their shame, who set their minds on earthly things."
          Philippians 3:18-19 

When was the last time I looked at the world around me as Paul describes his view in these verses?  As Paul is writing to the Christians in Philippi, he tells them that there are "enemies of the cross", and yet he precedes that with "and now tell you even weeping".  He goes on to talk about the sadness of their condition...  Their ultimate end is complete ruin, they are slaves to their passions, they glory in what is shameful, and they are locked in on the temporary things of this world.

He recognizes that they are enemies, but not enemies to be feared.  They are fruitless, aimless, powerless, and ultimately lost in their condition.  His response is not to attack this enemy, but rather to identify their true identities, and to mourn for them, to long for better things for them, to desire a life of meaning, purpose, power and eternal reward.

Too often we see the world as enemies (which we must remind ourselves that we too once were part of that army), and we take the position of soldier.  We want to attack their positions.  We want to defeat their evil ways.  We take the offensive so as not to be marred by their "wickedness".

How much more appropriate would it be to see the world as Paul did and mourn for them?  How much more effective would we be if we saw them in the condition that Paul described?  What responses would I have if I viewed them as sinners in need of a Savior?  As dead men in need of true life?  As hopeless people in need of a guide?  As blind, deaf and dumb beings in need of the Great Physician?

No longer would I glory in my position of being "better" than they are.  No more would I set my face against them.  Rather, my heart would be broken on their behalf.  My eyes would run with tears of sorrow until they could be replaced with tears of joy as one person responds to Christ and sees Him for who He is.  I would long for their connection with the one who gave me life, gave me position, gave me a purpose, and has given me eternal life with Him.

And then I would make sure that I told them about it...

No comments:

Post a Comment