Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Standing on the Promises of God

This morning I was preparing my daily cup of hot chocolate, and I found myself humming the tune to "Standing on the Promises of God".  When I was just a young boy, I had my first "solo" part in church singing this phrase in the song.  The whole class would sing the rest of the verse, but when it came to "standing on the promises of God" everyone would drop out and I sang it alone.

This morning as I contemplated His promises, I realized that often we like to stand on the promises that offer reward and success, promises of healing and prosperity.  We enjoy "holding God's feet to the fire" when it comes to the good that He has promised.

However, as I read in Jeremiah, I am reminded how God promised to "repent concerning the good with which I said I would benefit them."  Numerous times in the Old Testament God talks with His people and promises them many good things, but also reminds them that if they do not listen, if they do not obey, He will not withhold His judgement.

When God promises, we can count on it!  His word is good and He will bring it to pass.  As I think about my life and the ways I fail God, I am thrilled that He does not fail me, that He is faithful through and through.  However, if I seek to go my own way, if I decide to disobey, I must realize that His word is faithful there as well.

We long for the benefits and gifts from God.  I need to do the work of obedience so that His hand is not limited.  Jesus gave me his righteousness, so I cannot improve on it, however, I must live in a way that honors the gift by being obedient to the giver.  Then, and only then, can I expect the showers of blessings from heaven to flow.

No comments:

Post a Comment