Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Amazing Father... Baffled Childred

Have you ever noticed children who are "spoiled", given everything their hearts desire? Have you noticed how often they are not satisfied with what their parents give them? They want more. They want better. They want something else. They want... They want... They want...

It is interesting that often the parent of this type of child - when they realize what they have created, begins to withhold things that they would freely give to their children, and actually things that they would love to give to their children. They begin to give less, and watch for responses of the child to dictate what to do next. If the child acts "spoiled" - do not give anything more - withhold more. If the child learns to be thankful - they are willing to lavish them with more.

Interestingly enough, the children have no clue what is going on - they realize something is different, but not really sure how to respond. Hopefully, they learn the lesson of thankfulness, but often they learn to manipulate.

Such is the relationship with me and my Father, my heavenly Father. By nature, I want more, something different, something "better". By design, my Father withholds His blessing when I respond this way to His gracious giving.

Here is what I have learned, though. What God gives is more than I could ever have desired. What God gives is better than I would have chosen. What God gives is perfectly satisfying when I receive it with thanksgiving.

How about you???

No comments:

Post a Comment